Saturday, October 27, 2012

Blog #2

As of now, I have met with my partner, Helen, three times. The second time we met was on October 15th. On that day, Helen wanted to know about how to open an attachment in an email. I explained to her that all you have to do was click on the paperclip icon under the subject line of the email, but because she didn't have any emails in her inbox with something attached, she wrote my instructions down. Helen also expressed that she had been having trouble viewing something that she had downloaded from The Globe’s website. I asked her to show me what happened when she clicked to open it, and all that opened was a blank web browser page. I looked to me like when she had originally downloaded the file, something went wrong and that was what was prohibiting her from viewing the download. I suggested that we try downloading the file again. However, the Globe had featured the article at the beginning of the summer, and therefore Helen could not download it again. I suggested that she contact the Globe and explain what happened and see what they could do to help her. Helen then expressed an interest in knowing more about my laptop, because she said she was interested in purchasing one for herself. I explained to her what I know about it and told her that I would bring it the following week so she could see it herself.
            The next time I met with Helen was October 22nd. On this day I brought my laptop so she could get a feel for typing on the keyboard and things like that. In order to get used to the keyboard, I opened a Word document so she could type something herself. This is what Helen came up with. As you can see, for the most part, Helen is a very proficient typer and got accustomed to typing on the keyboard quickly. Helen again asked me how she would open an attachment in an email and I suggested that before we met again I would send her an email with an attachment so I could show her how to do it instead of just explaining it.
           Both times that I've met with Helen, she has responded very quickly with what I teach her, and I think that writing down my descriptions helps her. What I have been teaching her relates to what we have done in class because recently we have been learning about downloading files and how they have to be saved in order to be opened correctly. Helen and I talked about this when she was having trouble opening the file she downloaded from The Globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment