Sunday, December 9, 2012

Blog #5

Since my last blog, I've met with my most recent resident, Nancy, twice. When we met on the 25th, Nancy wanted to learn more about how to use her new Mac. The previous time that we had met, we had downloaded Microsoft Office and she had purchased the two additional copies, one for her husband and one for her son. We spent the first half of our time together looking on Microsoft's website trying to figure out how to download those extra copies onto the other computers, but had no luck. I told Nancy I would look into how to do that before our next meeting. Then Nancy wanted to know how to delete cookies, which I only know how to do on a PC. I had to look this up for her, and I think Nancy was a little ticked off that I didn't know how to do this.
When Nancy and I met on December 2nd, I didn't go as well as I would have liked our last meeting to go. In the time since our last meeting I had looked into her Microsoft question and found no answers on their website. So when we met I found a customer service number she could call and ask them. I initially didn't offer to call because I knew that the call would take more than the time we had together and I wanted to give her the option to ask me anymore questions she had. Nancy politely asked if I would make the call for her and I told I would after explaining why I originally didn't want to. Nancy really wanted me to make the call for her, so I complied. After getting through to someone and explaining to them our issue, I was placed on hold. We still had 20 minutes left in our session and I told Nancy that I was on hold. As I was telling her this, her son and granddaughters walked in. After a brief introduction, Nancy took the phone from me and told me that she could take it from there and thanked me for helping her. Nancy made it very clear that, with 20 minutes left in our session, that she wanted me to leave. So I did. I was pretty offended though because I was volunteering my time to help her, and she clearly didn't want that. Nancy had known what time her visitors were coming and I would have appreciated it if Nancy had cancelled our session so that I could have volunteered my time helping someone who appreciated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment